Thriving on matter that is moist, dead or decaying, mold can quickly turn a slightly wet document into an unsightly object thst you would not let your children approach. Mold is not an animal or a plant; it comes from the diverse and hearty fungi kingdom. In nature, mold is like a natural recycling system that helps break down decomposing organic matter like fallen leaves and timber. This zombie-like recycler, however, can do the same to your home and office when there is the slightest hint of moisture.
The Unwanted Guest
Invisible to the human eye, mold spores quickly travel through the air in hopes of finding moist or wet areas to call home and spread. You generally cannot see most molds until they begins to grow. With regular cleaning and sanitizing efforts, you can keep mold at bay around your windows and parts of a building that experience more moisture, like bathrooms or basements. An unexpected leak, burst pipe or a flood, however, can give mold the opportunity to run rampant throughout a building and destroy everything in its path, which could include your health if it produces mycotoxins.
When you experience water damage of any kind, take measures to dry out anything that got wet quickly and safely. If important documents, books or photographs experienced water damage, particularly if you run a business, it is best to call a document recovery specialist who can use the latest technologies to restore water-damaged items. Such items can include water-damaged blueprints, x-rays and large amounts of documents.
The first 48 to 72 hours after water or humidity damage occurs are the most crucial in salvaging the affected items. Talk to a disaster recovery specialist to learn about ways to prevent water and mold damage, as well as ways to take appropriate action after damage has occurred.
[Image: Steven Kay]