Corrosion prevention is vital to maintenance, safety and preservation of equipment. Without the right environmental conditions during the surface coating preparation, application and drying stages, the life of the preventive coating shortens, thus increasing maintenance costs. For this reason, companies often look to temporary climate control to ensure the success of the protective coating applications.
Why Temporary Climate Control is Essential to Surface Coating Projects
- Increase worker comfort and safety: Comfortable conditions are safe conditions that help boost worker productivity. By using environmental controls during each stage of the surface coating process—from preparation to curing—you create a well-ventilated area that reduces the exposure to harmful fumes and dust. When dust levels are lower, visibility is higher.Temporary climate control also creates safe temperature and humidity levels that are ideal for worker health. A controlled environment prevents overheating and overexertion among workers, while increasing their morale and efficiency.
- Thoroughly prepare surfaces: Failing to prepare a surface properly before applying a protective coating may cause adhesion to fail or prematurely break down. Trapped soluble materials left on the surface can cause the protective coating to blister. A controlled environment ensures that the surface in question is clean and dry before the coating applications begin.
- Maximize the longevity of surface coats: In addition to regulating air temperature, temporary climate control solutions make sure that surface temperatures are ideal for coating applications. When a surface is too hot, for example, the solvents applied may evaporate so quickly that the protective coating blisters or creates a porous film. Incorrect surface temperatures that are too hot or cold may also lead to pin-holing, dry spray, cratering and cracking.When you optimize the dew-point temperature and relative humidity levels with climate control solutions, you also allow the each layer of the surface coating to dry thoroughly.
- Control project costs: Temperature and humidity control solutions allow protective coatings to adhere to substrates better and extend their duration. A longer coating lifespan has the potential to reduce respective maintenance costs in the future by up to 20 percent. You’ll also experience immediate cost savings because the temporary climate solutions eliminate condensation problems.
- Meet deadlines: Dehumidifiers and temperature control equipment improves coating productivity between shift. When workers don’t have to paint-up daily, the coating process is faster.
Humidity is the top enemy when it comes to surface coating and preparation. Temporary climate control equipment make coating projects more efficient and successful. Polygon offers green temporary humidity and temperature control solutions to create an environment that promotes safe continuous working conditions and optimal curing. Contact Polygon today to learn more about how its solutions support productivity and increase project efficiencies.
[Photo by michael davis-burchat via CC License 2.0]