How do I find my mains water stopcock?

A mains water stopcock is a valve used to completely stop the flow of water within a property. Also known as 'the stopcock', 'mains water shut off valve' or 'stop valve', all properties have an inside and outside mains water stopcock. Your inside valve should be located under the kitchen sink, and your outside valve should be found near the boundaries of your home such as along an outside wall.