Disasters come at you fast. But then what? Natural events a lot of times happen quickly and unexpectedly and can leave you wondering how to pick up the pieces when you have barely had time to think.
The Institute for Business & Home Safety has posted some tips about how to recover from a disastrous event and make your way home. These tips can help one begin the process of getting back to “normal”:
- Report the loss to your insurance company ASAP.
- Enter buildings that may have been damaged with care.
- Take measures to further protect your property.
- Prepare a list of the items that were damaged in your home. Take pictures of the damage or even video.
- Keep records of all your expenses during the recovery process.
- Fill and return claim forms promptly.
- Add additional safety features to your home, if necessary.
- Ask your insurance agent the right questions before the unexpected happens. Ask your claim adjuster even more questions when worst comes true.
More on services that can help you during your recovery.