A small church in Lawrence, Massachusetts was destroyed on Christmas morning by a fire that was caused by a small space heater. The popular Latino church, Iglesia Nueva Jerusalem, also had a small community thrift shop. The church did not have the heater turned on when the fire started, but the heater was left plugged in to the outlet. Officials, however, are still investigating the incident.
The three-alarm fire caused about $200,000 of damage. Fortunately, no one was injured in the event. However, restoring the building will be difficult as the owner did not have it insured.
The Boston Globe, who reported this story, states in the article:
“In 2005, heating equipment fires accounted for 16 percent of all reported home fires and 22 percent of home fire deaths. Space heaters, whether portable or stationary, accounted for one-third of the home heating fires and three-fourths of home heating fire deaths, the association found.”
Click here to see tips about how to heat your home and business safely. Also learn how businesses can get back on their feet with restoration specialists that focus on business continuity after fires.