One of things people look forward to the most on the nation’s Independence Day is lighting fireworks. To make the most out of the holiday weekend, play it safe. Make this Fourth of July memorable because of the great time you had with family and friends, not because of a fireworks accident that went wrong.
Firework Safety Tips
- Know the law regarding fireworks in your state. If you are in an area that does not allow illegal fireworks, do not even think about using them.
- Only use fireworks outside.
- Have a hose or a bucket of water ready to extinguish any blazes.
- Do not alter fireworks.
- Leave a dud alone. If a firework does not work, leave it alone for at least 20 minutes before soaking it a bucket of water. Do not try to relight a dud.
- Do not drink and light fireworks. If there will be alcohol at your Independence Day festivities, appoint a designated fireworks lighter who will remain sober.
- Only allow those over the age of 12 use sparklers.
- Use safety equipment. The person lighting the fireworks should wear safety glass and spectators should keep a safe distance.