It takes more than construction materials and the right tools to build a healthy home. Forward-thinking contractors add construction moisture management into building plans to not just stay on schedule and within budget, but also prevent future problems that could compromise the quality of craftsmanship and homeowner health. Construction drying services allow to contractors to control the temperature, relative humidity levels and ventilation rates at their sites to keep materials dry, allow wet materials to dry and cure properly, and prevent corrosion and mold growth. As a result, the equipment keeps home builders working all year round while promoting pride and peace of mind in those who live in the properties constructed.
Benefits of Construction Drying Services for Homeowner Health
Maintain Indoor Air Quality
Dampness in building materials delays drying times and encourages mold growth. When spores land on damp materials, their presence isn’t usually detected right away. The organisms grow and multiply over time, compromising the quality of indoor air and degrading the materials affected. When individuals are sensitive to mold, they may experience symptoms such as runny nose, sneezing, skin irritation, eye irritation, upper respiratory illnesses, headaches and difficulty breathing. While construction humidity control does not prevent mold spores from entering a site, it creates an environment that prevents harmful infestations.
Improved Home Comfort
Building materials that remain damp conduct energy instead of resist it. When this occurs, power bills increase and an HVAC system has to work harder to maintain comfort levels in the home. A home that does not feel comfortable may affect a homeowner’s stress levels and sleep.
Promote the Efficacy of Insulation
Wet insulation leads to a myriad of post-construction problems. In addition to dangerous mold growth, damp insulation can cause tiles to loosen, wall surfaces to crack and collapse, and metal components to corrode. When insulation remains dry, it will not compromise the integrity of building materials and a homeowner’s safety.
Enhance Concrete Slab Performance
To cure well, concrete must have a certain amount of moisture in it as it dries. Excess humidity, however, causes the pH in wet concrete to rise and may encourage mold growth if a slab sweats. When the pH in concrete is too high, it could negatively affect the flooring materials installed on top of it. Construction drying solutions promote the proper performance of flooring materials and prevent falls.
Tips for Keeping Your Home Healthy and Mold-Free
- Inspect your home regularly for leaks and cracks in walls. Seal cracks as small as 1/8-inch and fix leaks immediately.
- Turn off the water supply to your home while on vacation.
- Install emergency pressure release valves on your plumbing system to minimize the pressure in pipes if one freezes.
- Keep your roof, gutters and downspouts debris-free.
- Ensure that water runs away from your home instead of toward it.
- Keep relative humidity levels in your home no greater than 60 percent.
- Use the exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom when cooking or bathing.
- Use houseplants that help purify the air, such as bamboo palms, orchids, Chinese evergreens, gerbera daisies, dracaena species, sansevieria, chrysanthemums and peace lilies.
- Change HVAC filters at least once every three months.
- Minimize the use of products that emit volatile organic compounds.
- Address water damage right away.
Construction moisture management begins from the ground up with Polygon’s temporary climate control solutions. Our construction drying services include custom, affordable equipment that improve a building and your crew’s performance while minimizing losses and delays. Because our equipment is energy-efficient, it will support a project’s green initiatives and give homeowners added pride in the work performed. Contact Polygon today to learn how our solutions save time and money, and promote building health.